Blessings

The intense rain that chased off any form of outdoor practice this afternoon caused me to to recall the lyrics of one of my favorite songs. Music, after all, is another one of my many passions, and the words in the song, “Blessings”, by Laura Story have always spoken to me. In the beginning of the song, it talks about all of the things that we ask God for: blessings, peace, comfort for family, protection while we sleep, for God to ease our suffering, etc. When we pray for these things, I think that a lot of the time we just expect them to be answered, or we look for an answer that is as plain as day, but I don’t think thats what happens most of the time. The chorus of the song suggests:

‘Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears?
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You’re near?

What if trials of this life
Are Your mercies in disguise?

Now, trailing back to today, the rain was definitely a blessing… I mean, I do enjoy golf practice, but I am swamped with things to do. Whether it be calculus homework, practicing for all-state chorus, studying for the ACT, or even writing this blog, it’s safe to say that I needed time tonight to get some things done! So the rain today was such a blessing for me! However, this song presents a deeper meaning too. Sometimes I think we are too caught up with the world to realize all of the numerous blessings around us. I think that God has a plan for us, and every single thing, no matter how big or small, happens for a reason. The blessings we ask for might not come in the forms we expect them to, but we just need to take a look up and see all the Lord’s mercies that he is displaying before us.

I drove home from school in rain that was coming down so hard that I couldn’t see. Looking out my window now, I see sunshine and astonishing clouds. It makes me smile.

I’ve attached a link for the song “Blessings”. I hope you get a chance to take a listen, and I hope you have a phenomenal day.

Blessings by Laura Story

3 thoughts on “Blessings

1. “Sometimes I think we are too caught up with the world to realize all of the numerous blessings around us.”

I firmly agree with you on this statement. Sometimes I get all whiny and feel like I have it so hard and then I realize that WAHH … LIFE IS GOOD. Life is beautiful. Thank you for the reminder.

2. I completely agree! God works in the best of ways and it’s so awesome the things He does to make us realize it. There are blessings all around us and He is continuing to bless us!